The aim of RISCA is to answer the following questions:
- What is the incidence of disease manifestation in mutation carriers?
- Which clinical signs precede the onset of manifest ataxia in SCA1, SCA2, SCA3 and SCA6?
- What are the prevalence and incidence of preceding signs?
- Are the prevalence and incidence of preceding signs affected by genotype, gender, age, estimated time until disease manifestation and repeat length?
- Does the presence of certain preceding signs predict the manifestation of ataxia?
- Are there MRI alterations that precede the onset of ataxia?
Study participants are followed at 24 months intervals over six years and than at irregular intervals. At each visit, study participants are asked in a structured interview for a number of predefined clinical signs that potentially precede the onset of ataxia.
Last update – 26/05/2017