Professor Myrra Vernooij-Dassen has been involved for many years in psychosocial dementia research. She has been trained as medical sociologist and was director of the Radboud Alzheimer Centre. She is affiliated to the Scientific Institute of Quality of Healthcare of Radboud University Medical Centre in Nijmegen, the Netherlands. She has performed a large body of research on quality of care and quality of life, especially in dementia and palliative care. She is currently engaged in translational and interdisciplinary dementia research. She supervised 32 PhDs. She published more than 250 (inter)national peer reviewed articles. She is chair of Interdem, a pan-European research network on detection and timely INTERvention in DEMentia.
Professor Vernooij-Dassen is visiting professor at the Gadjah Mada University in Yogyakarta, Indonesia and honorary visiting professor of the School of Health of Bradford University. Myrra Vernooij received the Dutch royal honor to be promoted to officer in the order of Orange-Nassau. She received the IPA 2016 distinguished service to the field psychogeriatrics award.
Myrra Vernooij-Dassen reviewed several national dementia programmes in Europe. She is a member of the Expert Advisory Panel of Alzheimer Europe and of the Advisory Board of Alzheimer Netherlands.
5 selected publications
- Spijker A, Wollersheim H, Teerenstra S, Graff M, Adang E, Verheij F, Vernooij-Dassen M. Systematic care for caregivers of patients with dementia: a multicenter, cluster-randomized, controlled trial. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2008 56(6) 1116-28.
- Vernooij-Dassen M, Leatherman S, Olde Rikkert M. Quality of care in frail older persons: the fragile balance of receiving and giving. BMJ 2011 ;342:d403. doi: 10.1136/bmj.d403.
- Leontjevas R, Gerritsen DL,Smalbrugge M, Teerenstra S, Vernooij-Dassen MJ, Koopmans RT. A structural multidisciplinary approach to depression management in nursing-home residents: a multicentre stepped-wedge cluster-randomised trial. Lancet 2013; 381:2255-64.
- Vernooij-Dassen M, Moniz-Cook E. Raising the standard of applied dementia care research: addressing the implementation error. Aging Ment Health. 2014 May 12:1-6.
- Vernooij-Dassen M, Jeon YH. Social health and dementia: the power of human capabilities. Int Psychogeriatr. 2016 May;28(5):701-3.