A call for European research projects for cross-disease analysis of pathways related to neurodegenerative diseases
NOTE: Ten projects are currently being supported under this call. Details of individual projects can be found here or via the link on the left side menu of this page
There is clinical, genetic and biochemical evidence that similar molecular pathways are relevant in different neurodegenerative and other chronic diseases. Therefore, clinical phenotypes alone seem insufficient to provide an understanding of the underlying mechanisms involved, and to be the sole basis for prognosis and diagnosis of neurodegenerative diseases. On December 2nd 2013 JPND launched a joint transnational call between 16 countries, for multidisciplinary proposals to perform network analyses in different neurodegenerative and other chronic diseases to elucidate the underlying mechanisms involved. The combined analysis of diseases across traditional clinical boundaries may lead to a re-definition of clinical phenotypes and new approaches in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases.
The aim of the call was to establish a limited number of ambitious, innovative, multi-national and multi-disciplinary collaborative research projects that;
- combine experimental approaches from fundamental, pre-clinical and/or clinical with computational approaches
- perform network analyses in different neurodegenerative and other chronic diseases to elucidate the underlying mechanisms common and differing in the investigated diseases
- will add value to existing research by analysing diseases across traditional clinical boundaries, thereby gaining deeper understanding of the patho-physiological mechanisms of the diseases.Participating countries
Funding: The total fund made available for this call is over 12 million euro (from all participating countries). Under this call, each country funds their own national participants in successful collaborative proposals, according to their national budget allocation.
Ten projects are currently being supported under this call. Details of individual projects can be found via the link on the left side menu of this page.
Where can I get more information about this call? Links to the relevant documents and resources can be found below:
- Call Text – all specific information on the Call
- Country-specific information – all requirements and details from participating national funding organisations