Neurodegenerative diseases (ND) are characterised by a large variability in their origins, mechanisms and clinical expression. In the search for a medical solution or treatment, this large variability constitutes a major hurdle if uncontrolled. Deciphering this variability is one of the biggest challenges in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases and the way forward is Precision Medicine, supported by highly personalised approaches for the greatest benefit of the patients.
In this context and with the objective of promoting research aimed at changing the trajectory of these debilitating diseases, the EU Joint Programme – Neurodegenerative Disease Research (JPND) initiative under JPco-fuND 2, launched, on 7 January 2019, a joint transnational call for multinational research projects on personalised medicine for neurodegenerative diseases.
Leveraging on the considerable momentum and experience gained through the 10 years of experience of JPND and on the first ERA-NET cofund launched in 2015, JPco-fuND 2 will be a major tool for the implementation of JPND objectives.
About the JPco-fuND 2 initiative
JPco-fuND 2 will enable the coordination of national and regional programmes for research in the area of neurodegenerative disease research at three different levels:
- the ERA-level, by delivering a transnational call with EU-cofunding, resulting in grants to research groups with a view to scale-up the implementation of the JPND Research Strategy.
- the JPND-level, through the annual transnational calls for proposals and alignment actions/action groups without EU co-funding on the various topics emerging from the renewed Research and Innovation Strategy.
- the Member Country-level, by helping to implement and link National Plans and Strategies.
As a five-year initiative (2019-2024), JPco-fuND 2 activities will be facilitated by the JPND structure and acquired competence. Research networks fostered by JPco-fuND 2 will be integrated with the other collaborating JPND activities. JPco-fuND 2 tasks will be:
- Maintaining a structure for the organisation of the calls and additional activities
- Implementing the call covered by JPco-fuND 2 in the ERA-NET Cofund project
- Implementing other JPND calls without EU cofunding
- Coordinating the Actions Groups and converting their recommendations into specific actions
- Developing outreach and engagement with other international/national/regional initiatives
- Communicating/disseminating on activities and initiatives of JPco-fuND 2
- Monitoring and evaluating the impact of JPco-fuND 2 actions
These tasks will be included within the following work packages:
- WP1- Management and coordination (Leader = Inserm, France)
- WP2- Preparation and launch of the co-funded call (Leader = DLR, Germany)
- WP3- Evaluation and proposal selection for the co-funded call (Leader = DLR, Germany)
- WP4- Follow-up and monitoring of projects resulting from the co-funded call (Leader = ZonMw, Netherlands)
- WP5- Communication, Exploitation and Dissemination of the results (Leader = Fondation Alzheimer, France)
- WP6- Implementation of the scientific research and innovation agenda (additional activities not related to the co-funded call). (Leader = Inserm, France; Co-leaders = ISCIII, Spain; Ministry of Health, Italy)
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under Grant Agreement No. 825664 – JPco-fuND 2.