The EU Joint Programme – Neurodegenerative Disease Research (JPND) will shortly launch a new multinational call for proposals for “Novel imaging and brain stimulation methods and technologies related to Neurodegenerative Diseases”.
Recent years have seen major increases in the range and power of these technologies across the basic, clinical and patient-centred domains of JPND. This joint transnational call will further promote research aiming at the development of novel and the advanced use of existing cutting-edge brain imaging and brain stimulation technologies related to neurodegenerative diseases. Approaches must be translational and patient-centered.
The upcoming call will focus on the following research areas:
Imaging technologies, such as Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Position Emission Tomography or super-resolution microscopy and molecular imaging techniques have brought about a dramatic improvement in the understanding of the onset, development and progression of neurodegenerative diseases. It is the aim to accelerate this progress and to fund research projects that focus on the development of novel imaging technologies or on improvements to the application of existing cutting-edge imaging technologies.
Brain stimulation techniques, such as Deep Brain Stimulation, have proven to directly affect the quality of life of patients. Other techniques, such as Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, transcranial Direct Current Stimulation or Focused Ultrasound could have potential to offer new non-invasive treatments. It is the aim to fund research that will lead to new or improved applications of both invasive and non-invasive brain stimulation techniques for the diagnosis and the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases.
The following funding organisations intend to support this joint transnational call:
- Australia, National Health and Medical Research Council*
- Austria, Austrian Research Promotion Agency on behalf of BMBWF
- Belgium, The Research Foundation – Flanders
- Belgium, The Fund for Scientific Research
- Canada, Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Czech Republic, Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports*
- Denmark, Innovation Fund Denmark*
- France, French National Research Agency*
- Germany, Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- Hungary, National Research, Development and Innovation Office*
- Ireland, Health Research Board
- Italy, Ministry of Health*
- Latvia, State Education Development Agency*
- Luxembourg, National Research Fund
- Netherlands, The Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development*
- Norway, The Research Council of Norway*
- Poland, National Science Centre*
- Spain, National Institute of Health Carlos III
- Sweden, Swedish Financial Council
- Switzerland, Swiss National Science Foundation
- Turkey, Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey*
* Decision pending
This will be a two-step call, expected to be launched in early January 2020, with a likely pre-proposal submission deadline in March 2020. Further details will be provided with the launch of the call.
All information regarding future JPND call topics is subject to change
Final call information will be published on the JPND website (www.jpnd.eu).