A CALL FOR MULTINATIONAL RESEARCH PROJECTS FOR PATHWAY ANALYSIS ACROSS NEURODEGENERATIVE DISEASES
AS OF MARCH 7, 2017, THE CALL FOR PRE-PROPOSALS IS CLOSED.
On January 9, 2017, the EU Joint Programme – Neurodegenerative Disease Research (JPND) launched a joint trans-national call for multinational research projects for pathway analysis.
Neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease are a global health, economic and social emergency. More than 40 million people worldwide are estimated to be living with Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders – the most common class of neurodegenerative diseases – and this figure is expected to significantly increase in the coming decades. Yet, with the exception of a few cases, no curative treatment exists, and the basic underlying mechanisms of many neurodegenerative diseases remain poorly understood.
With this in mind, JPND has identified an urgent need for targeted investment to better understand the fundamental links between different diseases. There is already clinical, genetic and biochemical evidence that similar molecular pathways are relevant in different neurodegenerative and other chronic diseases. This call, which follows a similar call successfully launched by JPND in 2013, invites proposals for ambitious, innovative, multinational and multidisciplinary collaborative research projects to perform network analyses across such diseases in order to further elucidate the common underlying mechanisms involved. This combined analysis could lead to a re-definition of clinical phenotypes and new approaches in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases.
Funding: The total made available for this call is 23 million euros (from all participating countries). Under this call, each country funds their own national participants in successful collaborative proposals, according to their national budget allocation.
Participating JPND countries
The funding organisations that have agreed to participate in this joint call are listed below. The call will be conducted simultaneously by the funding organisations in their respective countries and coordinated centrally by the Joint Call Secretariat.
- Australia, National Health and Medical Research Council
- Canada, Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Czech Republic, Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports
- Denmark, Innovation Fund Denmark
- France, French National Research Agency
- Germany, Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- Hungary, National Research, Development and Innovation Office
- Ireland, Health Research Board
- Ireland, Science Foundation Ireland
- Israel, Chief Scientist Office, Ministry of Health
- Italy, Ministry of Education, Universities and Research
- Italy, Ministry of Health
- Luxembourg, National Research Fund
- Netherlands, The Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development
- Norway, The Research Council of Norway
- Poland, The National Centre for Research and Development
- Romania, Ministry of National Education
- Slovakia, Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic
- Spain, National Institute of Health Carlos III
- Sweden, Swedish Research Council
- Switzerland, Swiss National Science Fondation
- United Kingdom, Medical Research Council
Pre-proposals must be submitted no later than 23:59h C.E.T. on March 6, 2017, via the electronic submission tool.
Full proposals must be submitted no later than 23:59h C.E.T. on June 28, 2017, via the electronic submission tool.
Where can I get more information about this call? Links to the relevant documents and resources can be found below:
Call text – download all specific information about the call. [PDF]
Evaluation procedure – description of the evaluation procedure and decision-making process applied for this call. [PDF]
Country-specific information – all requirements and details from participating national funding organisations.
Pre-proposal Template – mandatory for creating proposals. No other formats are accepted.
Full Proposal Template – mandatory for creating proposals. No other formats are accepted.
Proposal Submission Tool – mandatory for submitting proposals. No other routes are accepted.
Joint Call Secretariat representatives are available for questions:
Dr. Sabrina Voß, email@example.com, (+49) 228-3821 1821
Dr. Vera Mönter, firstname.lastname@example.org, (+49) 228-3821 1717